Sunday, July 24, 2011

Spinning Cotton in Hot Weather

I have been practicing daily on my new Alden Amos driven spindle wheel, learning to spin cotton.


This picture is right after I opened the package and assembled the wheel, I am getting the hang of it with some wool roving.  Now, I am spinning cotton sliver I purchased from Yolo Wool Mill in the spring.  It spins like a dream, so easy to make wonderful cotton yarn.  My plan is to spin a few bobbins of it, ply it, then move on to colored cotton.  Here in San Diego, cotton in the summer seems like a 'must' do.

Today Rachel and I practiced the long draw in the back yard.  We are getting a little weather from a hurricane in Mexico and actually had a few raindrops.  I finished one mitten from some hand-dyed handspun I thought I did not like; but it turned out OK!  It's BFL, so how bad could it be?  I want to be able to show the mittens at Twainfest in Old Town San Diego in August.

3 comments:

  1. The spindle wheel is amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I just finished spinning the rest of the white practice cotton. Now I want to move on to the naturally colored cotton. I feel like I am getting somewhere with this. I worked on the Navajo spindle last night. I could not have done that without the knowledge I have built up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes-- you are definitely getting somewhere! The Navajo Spindle? I am taking a liking to the long draw, myself...

    ReplyDelete