Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Loom

In 1983, I decided to start weaving after finishing my formal education.  I purchased a table loom, wove a bunch of stuff, then decided I wanted a floor loom.  (Note: this table loom is now used in Old Town).  In 1984, I bought a used Herald 4-shaft 6-treadle loom.  I bought it from a lady who had decided that a 45" floor loom did not fit into her small condo bedroom.  I got a pretty good deal on it, considering what looms that size cost today.  She threw in all her weaving stuff.  I supplemented it over the years with a warping mill and other equipment from house sales.  None of it purchased new.


Look how beautiful it is.  I have some hand spun singles on the loom today.  I will weave a nice scarf, then I want to put some cotton on.  Over the years, I have woven many blankets, ponchos, placemats, table runners, on and on.  I dearly love my loom, but what happened to Herald Looms?

So, at my job, some of the people were working out in the back country, and told me they had found a loom, and that I should go look at it.  It was destined to be hauled off as garbage.  A loom!  Abandoned in the back country!  Co-worker who is also a weaver and I took a short field trip out to look at the loom.


OK, it is not a loom.  In fact, we don't know what it is.  I think it has something to do with egg sorting.  But, definitely not a loom.  I love my coworkers, and the fact that more than one of them excitedly brought this to my attention?  how cool is that.  But folks, it's not a loom.  Love ya, but not a loom.

3 comments:

  1. So cool to see. Love you- not a loom...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny old thing. Too bad it was rusted tight. I would have loved to get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still wonder what it was used for! not a rock tumbler... I like the egg idea.

    ReplyDelete