Sunday, March 18, 2012

Eva Salazar Baskets

Basket making is a fiber art that is part of the traditional culture of our local native people, the Kumeyaay Indians. Eva Salazar is an award-winning Kumeyaay basketmaker who happens to be working with my husband at this time.  He very kindly arranged for us to visit Eva at her wonderful home in eastern San Diego County so we could look at her baskets.


Here, Eva is showing me the plant materials that she uses to make her baskets.  She gathers and processes all the materials herself: Juncus textilis, Rhus trilobata (basketbush), and Muhlenbergia rigens (deergrass).  She has collecting permits from the necessary public agencies.  She dyes some of the juncus black using walnut shells, oak, and old metal. 

This is a very large basket that she spent many, many months working on.  


I was honored to be there, and she is the most kind, pleasant, and cheerful person I have met.  She loves to weave baskets, and it shows in the detail and quality of her work.  As they say, how you do something is how you do everything, and her work demonstrates her to be a careful, thoughtful person who uses traditional materials in traditional ways to create her baskets.  Thank you, Eva!

3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful... and inspirational. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog! Found it looking up information on Ladies Day in Old Town San Diego. Will you be attending this weekend? I'm bringing two lovely little ladies with me who I know would love to see you spin!

    The baskets are fabulous, it's so great to see real handcrafting is still with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I don't know if I saw you. I was there at the spinning tent. We will be back on the third Saturday, looking forwarding to meeting you.

      Delete