Sunday, July 15, 2012

Blooming Cotton, Finally

Yesterday one of the Pima cotton plants I am growing from seed opened a blossom.  Much larger and more beautiful than I had expected.


The flower has a dark red center and very ruffled petals.  This morning the flower was pink and drooping a bit.


I also planted some brown cotton separately, but it is a bit behind the Pima because I did not have it in a location that was sunny enough.  In fact, it has really only turned hot and sunny enough here in San Diego over the past two weeks to get these plants going.  I had pretty good germination for the Pima cotton; of the four seeds I planted, three sprouted.  The brown cotton, however, had to be replanted.  None of the first four seeds came up.  I replanted two more seeds and one came up.  That plant is now very vigorous and has some buds.

I had insect trouble when the plants were very small.  A dollop of soapy water administered every week cured that problem.  Now, they seem strong enough to take on anything.

Yesterday I finished this month's Blue Moon Sock Club shawl.  This was a lot of fun to knit.  I like the wave pattern and the lace really sets off the breaking waves theme.  I had some yarn left over and I could have made the shawl a little longer. However, I did not want to mess with the design, so there it is.  A bit short, but it works.  I really like the thicker texture over the shoulders.  My shoulders and back tend to get cold, so I am looking forward to wearing this in the cool office at work.


Today I am going to dye some pin drafted Merino.  I dyed some last week and I really like the colors - but it felted a little.  I started earlier today and will be more patient.  I cleaned out the garage a couple of weeks ago and made myself a work space for this hot weather.  It is really too hot to dye on the patio.  There is a nice breeze through the garage.

I am going to try some different colors than what I usually end up using (that's right, no Turkey Red).  Wish me luck.

Just for fun, here's a photo of the two buddies, Frida and Sally, relaxing on the bed.  Frida is the large white cat.  The quilt is my own design, made from Guatemalan fabrics - some of which I purchased in Guatemala while I was doing field work years ago.  I pieced the top, and it was machine quilted by the talented Nancy Zelenka.  She also added the binding.  It has cotton batting.  




Onward to the dye pot.  

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful shawl... and cotton. And love the buddies on the quilt. Kevin says Frida is soo big, and yes he knows it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that it's really hot, the cotton plants are going great. Regarding the white cotton, I have two bolls on one plant and three blossoms open today. The brown cotton plant is very vigorous but no flowers yet. There are three buds. I guess the lesson is that it does no good to plant early. They just stall until it gets hot. Growth is very fast from then on.

      Delete