Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fire Pit Dye Work

The gray Coopworth roving I dyed last weekend over the fire in the backyard came out just great.



As you can see, the first batch retained more of the undyed gray.  These are four ounce rovings.  On Friday night, I dyed another four ounces, and it's outside drying.  For that batch, I left the pot suspended over the coals all night.  In the morning, the water was clear and the fiber was dyed.

We went hiking yesterday in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, a nice long hike up Green Valley.  There was still some snow on the ground, and running water in a side creek running into Sweetwater River.  There were a few small ponds and one had a pair of mallards in it - a very secluded location to start their family.  Chores today and maybe a bit of spinning or knitting later on.  I have four more ounces of the gray Coopworth that I almost dyed last night over the fire, but now it's getting cooler again so I will save it for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment