Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Vallecito Days 2013

We participated in the Vallecito Days event on March 16.  It was very well attended by both the public and by volunteers,  and was less windy than on previous events.  Vallecito Stage Station is located in the desert east of San Diego. The original sod building was constructed in 1852 as a stop on the Butterfield Overland Stage Line and the southern emigrant trail.  In ruins by the early 20th century, the station was reconstructed in 1934 and has been restored carefully by the County of San Diego.



The stage station was in great condition, thanks to San Diego County Parks.  Parks produced a video of the event, which can be viewed using this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr2qZ5y6u0U

Because of past experience with using the spinning wheel under windy and dusty conditions, we chose to card and use handspindles this year.  The last time I tried to spin on my wheel at Vallecito it took me a week to get all the sand out of it!


I even received some mail, delivered by riders, from Rancho Guajome and La Brea Tar Pits.  You can see the Tar Pits postcards in the video.  Although it takes a couple of hours to get to the stage station from San Diego, it is well worth the effort.

1 comment:

  1. It was so nice to meet you there, I attended with the gentleman in the buckskin and moccasins. Wish I hadn't eaten myself out of my period clothing, I sure didn't fit in too well that day!

    Will you be attending our Warner Carrillo Ranch House Grand Opening on June 1st? Love to see you there!

    ReplyDelete