Monday, June 27, 2011

New Pelerine. And spinning cotton. And gourds.

It occurred to me as I sat in my pelerine by the fire outside, I need another one.  A more colorful one to wear in my "real" life.  So I started to search through the stash.  At first, I thought I would use some of my handspun and vary the colors between yellow, reds, purples, etc.  in the rows.  Then I saw some yarn I dyed last year.  I bought four skeins of undyed yarn from Powell Sheep Ranch in Ramona.  Loraine had it mill spun into a worsted weight yarn, and I dyed 3 of the four skeins.  I was not in love with the way they turned out, so I stuck them back in the stash to ferment.  Now, they seemed perfect for the pelerine. And when I turned them into balls and started knitting - just what I wanted!


I started with the most purple and will then go to the one with some purple and red, and end with the blue.  Below the started project are my written notes on the knitting, which I am amending constantly.

OK, what else did I do this weekend?  After FINALLY watching Stephenie Gaustad's video on Spinning Cotton, I pulled out my cotton sliver and tried it on flyer wheels.  The Elizabeth 2 was too grabby.  I went to the Matchless, put it on the smallest pulley, and reduced the brake to zero.  Stephenie recommends using a double drive set up but being lazy I did not.  After a couple of tries, I came up with an OK yarn.


The lumpy bits on the left are actually the fat leader yarn.  The right is what I was down to.  Definitely need more practice, but I am getting there!

What else?  Well I added a collar to my costume in honor of the Fourth of July in Old Town.


Festive.  I also hope to be wearing my new straw bonnet, courtesy of Carol Haven at JustTwoTailors.  What a nice lady!  I also ordered a hat for my spouse to wear.

What else?  Oh yes, I have my first gourd on the plant.  Future rattle.  Although I have grown plenty of gourds, none are the perfect rattle.  I am ever hopeful.  As I am of completing my monograph.


Enjoy the week, stay calm, and carry on.  Read the latest edition of American Scientist if you want some perspective on Life on Earth.

3 comments:

  1. OK-Lovely colors! Nice work with the cotton, and the baby gourd. So sweet. Can't wait to see your new straw bonnet, and your spouse's new hat (and to show you my new favorite cap that I just got yesterday...) Oh, and love how your dress is evolving! Must admit mine is ever so slowly getting there, maybe by the end of the year. It is quite an enjoyable process indeed.
    Salud

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got our straw hats yesterday and I just finished sewing on the hat bands and ribbons - spouse likes his hat so much he may not take it off. Frida almost chewed up the ribbons. It does take some time to develop the character you want to express. If you have extra ribbon, I will make some spinning wheel bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what. I got the pattern for my dress. Going to get started on it this weekend. Although my kitty is insisting on sitting on top of the pattern, as she usually knows when I am interested in something new. I am planning on taking my time with this, lots of breaks to make sure I am paying attention... I was thinking I should get rid of my ribbon stash since I haven't touched it in 8 yrs! So let me know if you'd like any of it and I can set some aside. Now I need to find the perfect buttons for my dress.....

    ReplyDelete