Sunday, August 28, 2011

Quill Spindle

My old Traveller wheel does not get much use these days, unless I have a "guest" spinner over to visit.  I fitted it with a double treadle a few years ago but otherwise it's the same as when I purchased it in the mid-1980s.  After using the Alden Amos T frame wheel to spin cotton for a few weeks, I got curious about driven spindle wheels.  So I purchased the Ashford quill spindle attachment and put it on the Traveller.  Wow, what fun I am having!


This attachment has three pulley speeds and they are really fast.  I've got it on the middle one.  The brake band tension is completely released.  The instruction sheet says that, with practice, you can keep spinning and winding on without stopping.  After almost a week, I can do it although I have to use my hand to get the wheel going in the right direction again - but I don't stop spinning.  I think I have more control of the wheel direction with the double treadle set up.  I am practicing with this nice wool roving, which drafts quite easily in long draw.  I use my right hand to control the movement of the twist while drafting with my left hand.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I want one someday... I definitely need to buy another wheel.

    ReplyDelete