Monday, September 5, 2011

Rainy Day in San Diego

We have had the most peculiar weather here today.  It has been cloudy (no, real clouds not "overcast"), with some sprinkles before dawn, one moderate rain with thunder, and additional large drops.  Completely not predicted by the weather forecast.  This is one thing that puzzles me about San Diego weather - the forecast is so frequently wrong.  How complicated could it be?  Maybe I am missing something that makes our weather so very difficult to predict reliably.

Well, I spent a good part of the morning spinning alpaca roving from Specialty Yarn and Llamas (www.specialtyyarnandllamas.com).  We were up in Wynola on Saturday and I bought some black, tan, and creamy white roving.  This is all for hubby's fingerless gloves, which will be knitted from the different colors of alpaca plus the seafoam green I spun on the quill spindle.


I draped the black and tan unfinished, plied skeins over the distaff for the photo.  The creamy white is on the distaff and I have some on the bobbin.  Nice!  My only bungle was to ply the singles on the Joy using the bulky flyer set-up.  This was a struggle and quite unnecessary.  I should have plied it on the Elizabeth; even plied, the yarn is DK weight at the most.  The skeins came out fine, but I had to fight with the Joy and risked breaking the singles yarn.  I was lucky that none broke.  I washed the skeins in warm to hot soapy water, and have set them out to drip.  Uh oh, now it really is starting to rain here!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, San Diego weather has me puzzled... I decided that today the universe is crying, with no warning. I also plied today, and have hopes that my stuffs will dry, but with the moisture and raindrops I think I may have to be patient for a little longer than normal. First I spun some sari silk scraps, then two plied it (one single of sari with another of wool roving from Lorraine). Very twisty. I actually had to untwist some of it before plying. Then I three plied singles that I have been stashing. Always stuff hiding around here. It turned out very rainbowy... Hope your garden is enjoying the rains, good luck with hubby's alpaca mitts. Not sure what I will use my yarn for. It turned out very funky, as usual. Will send some pics after it dries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I plied some cotton later yesterday that I added a lot of twist to. I think it needed it.

    ReplyDelete