Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year

SDFA has been very busy the past week or so celebrating the holidays by going on lots of hikes.  We in San Diego were very fortunate that our weather has been fantastic for the past couple of weeks.  Today it was in the mid-70s here, great for a bike ride.  This year seemed odd with two New Year's Days.  Today was the Rose Parade, and the Rose Bowl.  But yesterday was January 1.  I guess some things are beyond explanation.

I only dyed once during the holiday break.  Five ounces of naturally gray Jacob roving from Homestead Farm.  The roving is so lively and springy, it has been a pleasure to dye.  I dyed it in the enamel roaster, with blue, purple, and rose.  I was afraid it would all blend into purple but it did not.


It is darker than the photo, but the natural gray color stayed through the dye process.  I can't wait to spin this roving!

I have also been spinning llama roving.  I have one ounce of white two ply done.  I was practicing really fast long draw on the Elizabeth.  That wheel likes to go fast and the llama fiber, from Specialty Yarn and Llamas in Wynola, is well prepared so it is easy to spin quickly.  I have some other one ounce samples of llama that I look forward to spinning soon.

2 comments:

  1. We love the blue, purple, and rose roving. Looks beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to spin it. I have been spinning some llama the last few days. Great for the long draw! So easy!

    ReplyDelete