Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Birds

Inspired by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology (check out their video on Acorn Woodpeckers), I took a break from plying yesterday and photographed some birds at our back yard feeders.  I heard unusual calls over the past couple of days, so I wanted to see if the same birds would come back.  Turns out I caught two adult and one juvenile Nutmeg Mannikins in our yard. The two adults are at middle level on the red feeder, and the juvenile is at the seed tray of the green feeder.  Thanks to Marty for identifying these!


Check out the Cornell program and videos.  Their journal, Living Bird, is full of beautiful and inspiring photographs and articles.  I support them because (1) I am interested in birds and wildlife; and (2) my father attended Cornell University on the GI Bill after WWII and received a degree in Electrical Engineering.  This led to his career in the U.S. space program in the 1960s and 1970s - which led to an abiding interest in science in our family.  Go Cornell!

No comments:

Post a Comment