Sunday, April 24, 2011

Latvian Fingerless Mitts

I finished the first mitt this morning, and am very pleased with it.  I had to set it aside for a couple of weeks while I decided whether to tackle 4 colors in a row, or whether I should edit the pattern down to 3 colors.  I decided to go with 3, since the floats were getting out of hand, and the thickness of the mitt would have increased.  The mitt pattern appeared in this year's Knitting Traditions as "A Kaleidoscope of Color: Latvian Fingerless Mitts", by Beth Brown-Reinsel.  I would have hesitated to attempt this project before taking Beth's workshop at Stitches West.  She taught us the half-braid and herringbone braid techniques in a class on Swedish two-end knitting.  Thanks, Beth, you proved that it is possible to teach an old dawg new tricks. 

The mitts actually knit up very quickly, using sport weight yarn.  I have to remember to copy my mistakes (design choices?)  and modifications on the right hand mitt.  I jotted them down on a color copy of the pattern.  Warning, there are many ends to weave in, particularly at the cuff.  It is worthwhile to spend adequate time doing this.  I steam blocked the mitt to finish it.

2 comments:

  1. Whoah, fingerless mitts! You are brave. Good advice- makes me feel better, since I have to remember to copy my "design choices," and to modify as I go along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can fix a stitch when it is a stray mistake or two, but when I skip a whole pattern repeat or miss a color change, it's a design choice.

    ReplyDelete