Friday, April 29, 2011

Toe Up Color Graded Handspun Socks

I spun three-ply BFL fiber from Chameleon Color Works in a color graded sequence to see if I can make toe-up socks that have the color moving from greenish to blueish and back again. 


3-ply BFL
 As my first three-ply sock yarn, I think it turned out fine.  I started knitting earlier this week, using size 2 Addi needles.  I noticed that the fabric seemed a bit tight.  No problem, socks are meant to be a tighter knit than other clothing.  After I finished the toe increase they still seemed very firm.  I checked the needle package.  Size 2.  OK.  I kept going.  Then I decided something was wrong.  I stopped knitting and took a break for a couple of days to go to a Padres evening game with co-workers, and to my son's birthday celebration.  OK.  Back at it tonight.  I knit a round in certifiably size 3 Signature needles.  Different.  Finally fished out my needle gauge.  Yup, these are size 1 needles I have been using.  Should be at least 2, maybe 3.  How they got into a size 1 package is a mystery to me. Now that I have discovered the problem, I can figure out which size I should be using.  It won't be a problem to have the toe knit a bit firmer than usual.  But I might have to reduce the overall number of stitches by a few.  This is the good thing about toe-up, I can just try it on to find out.  And if it is a bit wide, I will just make it a bit shorter. 

1 comment:

  1. That totally sounds like something that I would do. The mysterious switch-a-roo. Great yob with the 3-ply sock yarn! The few times that I have tried, I have found that I prefer to use larger needles than normal when knitting with home spun 3-ply. It just turns out tighter and firmer than any 2-ply or single ply... Takes some adjusting of the size of the needle, I generally rip it out and start over before I get it the way that I think I want it. I will let you know when I get started on my first pair of socks... they will be red.

    ReplyDelete