Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Indigo Dyeing - Yarn, Fabric, and Roving

After many weeks of preparation and gathering materials, I spent yesterday dyeing in my first solo indigo vat.  I decided to use pre-reduced indigo for this effort.  I wanted to try handspun yarn (including a beautiful skein given to me by a close friend), roving, top, and cotton fabric.  It was a nice warm day here in America's Finest City, perfect for indigo dyeing.

Two days before dye day, I put everything in to soak and get thoroughly wetted, in plain water.  I first dyed the cotton fabric, since the vat needs a lower temperature for cellulose fibers.  I had 2 yards of unbleached muslin on hand so into the bath it went.


My stainless steel dye pot is small (4 gallons) so the fabric was a little bit crowded.  But I actually like the semi-batik appearance this provided.  I am planning an apron for this fabric.

Next went the handspun skeins, after warming the vat up to 120 degrees.  The BFL roving dyed beautifully to a dark blue.  My friend's skein was not quite as dark; I thought it was BFL but I know she was working with top and not roving.  Maybe that made a difference.  Wonderful color anyhow.

Then the big moment, the roving and top.  I had some very thin Corriedale roving so I made little bundles and put them in a mesh bag to soak.  They dyed very nicely.  I also had 2 bundles, each 4 oz, of Montana Debouillet roving that I bought at Convergence.  So far, so good.  I got brave and tossed in my last 4 oz of Corriedale top.  I treated all these fibers very gently, and held them in my hands while swooshing slowly in the vat.  Everything was dipped 3 - 5 times, for a duration of 30 to 60 seconds. 


This photo was taken before I had dyed all the roving and top, but you can see the result.  The Debouillet roving is on the right.  The shorter skeins are the BFL that I spun on a handspindle.  My friend's roving is on the far left. 

So far, the roving and top does not seem to be felted or matted.  In particular, to my surprise, the small bundles of very thin Corriedale roving came out great!  I will definitely make those to dye again.  On to Old Town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment