Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Madder and Marigold Dyeing

I have spent the last four months experimenting with madder dyeing.  I was able to produce colors that range from burnt orange to bright red to brick red.  It took me four batches to perfect the process for dyeing wool top.  Although it is said by those in the know that you cannot dye roving or top, I was able to do so with extra care and attention. 


This is a super color, and no run off from the dye process.  I opening it up as it dried and was able to spin a fine, smooth yarn using long draw on my Ashford Elizabeth.  I have now dyed and spun about 1.5 pounds of wool roving and top, and have been very pleased with the product. 

I decided that I wanted to knit a sontag with the yarn.  The sontag is very period-appropriate for Old Town San Diego, and one made out of madder-dyed yarn would be useful.  I got the back of the garment knitted, up to the shoulders.  Then I had second thoughts.  Should I really be knitting another wool garment to wear in Old Town?  I have two shawls made from my hand spun yarn.  And honestly, it does not get that cold there.  So I am rethinking the sontag plan.  Instead, I am considering knitting a garment that I could wear to other places this winter; like in my home office when it is 55 degrees.  More later plus photos of the dye colors.

Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) was celebrated in Old Town this past weekend.  The many alters were decorated with bright orange marigolds.  We were spinning at Casa Estudillo on Nov. 1 and I mentioned that I would love to have the marigolds after the event was over.  I have been saving my own garden marigolds all summer to use as dye.  Imagine how thrilled I was to receive a large bag of marigolds on Nov. 3 - over 3 pounds of flowers!  I divided them into half-pound groups and popped them into the freezer. 

Yesterday I took out a bag and started extracting dye.  What an interesting smell - kind of like chamomile tea.   I mordanted 4 oz of Corriedale top with alum, and left it to sit overnight.  This morning I started the dye process. 

I also obtained a great wheel this summer.  Long story which I will write up for Spinning Wheel Sleuth this winter, but the P. WOOD  wheel I obtained is beautiful and spins nicely. 


Although I won't spin much on the wheel (since it is 200 years old), it is a pleasure to have and enjoy. 

I will post photos of the marigold and madder yarn as it is spun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment