Sunday, May 29, 2011

Machado Quilt in Old Town San Diego

Looking through my quilt books with an eye toward thinning out the herd, I came across one that I will keep.  It is Ho For California! Pioneer Women and Their Quilts.  The author is Jean Ray Laury and the California Heritage Quilt Project.  I made a Civil War quilt a few years ago, and have a few quilting books about this era.  I really like the fabric from that period, and over the years I have purchased enough for my Bertha collar as well as some other fabric projects.  The fabric was purchased from Rosie's Calico Cupboard - she has a Civil War fabric room at her shop.

Anyway, as I was looking through the book (I have to admit I was looking for pictures of women in Bertha collars; I found a photo of Eva Scott Fenyes in the latest issue of New Mexico Magazine wearing a lace one), I saw that there was a photo and description of the Juana Machado Wrightington quilt that the Old Town Fiber Arts Guild is replicating.


I mentioned in the last post that Pat was the only quilter working on their project last Saturday.  They have made much progress, and I wish I had not forgotten my camera so I could show their work as well as the original (which is in the collection of the San Diego History Center [formerly the Historical Society]).  Juana made the quilt c. 1850.  The Old Town Fiber Arts Guild quilters hope to finish their quilt by the end of the summer.  Stop by and take a few stitches to help them along.

No comments:

Post a Comment