Saturday, May 21, 2011

Old Town San Diego Today

Rachel and I were the only spinners today in Old Town.  Pat had the quilt going, but she was alone.  The quilters are making a replica of a historic quilt, and they allow people to take stitches to sew on the applique.  Very generous.  It was surprisingly slow in Old Town, considering the fine weather and time of year in San Diego.  We had pulses of tourists throughout the afternoon, with a couple of large crowds from China.  I hear many different languages over the course of the day.  We only had the Sleeping Beauty question once, and it was at the end of the afternoon.  Instead, we had lots of questions about why my wheel has only one treadle (Kromski Mazurka) and Rachel's has two treadles (Ashford Traveller).  Faster?  Easier? More efficient?  There was much speculation.

One guy walking by with a bottle of beer in hand (Dos XX) stopped in his tracks when he saw us.  He had seen spinning wheels as static displays, but had never seen them "in action", so to speak.

Forgot the camera, so no pictures.  I did get a lot of spinning done.  OK, I want to make a Bertha Collar for my dress.  I have a photo of my g-g-g-grandmother Katie Riddlespurger Craft in a Bertha Collar.


I want to make a collar similar to this.  I mentioned the Bertha collar to my mother, who is 89, and she knew immediately what I was talking about.  "Oh yes," she said, "the apron comes off and the Bertha collar goes on."  My mother remembers it buttoning in the front, but you can see that Katie's must button up the back.  She has put white piping around the edge.

1 comment:

  1. As discussed, next time we will have to talk about the three-treadle wheel. Wishing you luck with the bertha collar, I love this photo of Katie Riddlespurger.

    ReplyDelete