Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mountain Man Rendezvous

Today I attended the last weekend of the Mountain Man Rendezvous at Mesa Grande and had a great time spinning with Sue, who brought her hand spindle.  I did not know what to expect from this event, since I had never done spinning there before, but ended up doing a lot of demonstration to the public.  Friend Steve was set up to Blacksmith so I sat next to his forge in the shade of an oak tree.  It was a cool, clear spring day in the mountains of San Diego.


Of course I forgot my camera and a very kind gentleman took some pictures and sent them to me.  Thank you, Sir!  It was challenging to spin on tall grass, but we managed.  My Kromski Mazurka handled the rough terrain quite well.  This wheel is very popular and attracts a lot of questions about how it works, etc.  I spun some alpaca-wool roving from Morro Fleece and produced a fine, neat single that I will ply in two weeks in Old Town San Diego State Historic Park.  Sue and I had a great time as usual.


This one is kind of dark and I forget what we were laughing about.  You can't see it but I am using a wooden folding chair I bought about a million years ago from a military surplus outlet in Torrance.  I have fixed it many times since then.  I made a seat pad for it last weekend from fabric scraps I bought at Ortega's in Chimayo, NM.  Good times.

1 comment:

  1. Good times indeed. Props to you for being brave and spinning with all of that tall grass around, eeek! Maybe that is how it all started? Hmm. If I ever get back to NM I will have to try to find this Ortega's place...

    ReplyDelete